Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Are you happy with yourself?


Are you happy with yourself?

  • Do you wish that you were older or younger? 
  • Would you rather have been born in a different era? 
  • Do you wish you were born of a different sex? 
  • Do you wish that you had different parents? 
  • Do you wish that you had a different body?

As I pass the remarkable age (for me) of four and a quarter score, I wonder how I made it this far. In 1955 as a student at Georgia Tech, country singer Faron Young's hit song became a favorite of mine. 

"I want to live fast, love hard, die young,
and leave a beautiful memory.” 

That song became my battle cry! Thank God, the third item of my plan failed.

That leads me to an important personal insight. I have always been most happy to be the age that I was at the time. 
  • I guess in college, I was having so much fun - almost flunked out – that I was not looking forward to growing older. 
  • It was fun in my late twenties to be the Young Turk fighting to change the status quo in an institutionalized company that was dying. 
  • In a mid-life crisis, I was happy with a less stressful job and a supportive family. 
  • I am still happy at my present age even though my body is wearing out and I can’t do the things that earlier I thought I could not live without. Now there are exciting new things to do. 

Don't believe that you are too young or too old to do what you are called to do.
Just because I can no longer play golf it isn't the end of life.

Am I happy with myself?

No! I fall short of God’s target so often. A quick review of my past reveals any number of regrets, some as a direct result of the plan for my life - sung by Faron Young.

  • I wish that I had learned how to love at an earlier age. 
  • I wish that I had spent more time with my wife and children rather than chasing fame and fortune. 
  • I wish that I had learned to sing. 
  • I wish that I was better playing the guitar. 
But all in all, I am pretty content.

Getting back to the questions that started this issue, I am content with my age today with all of its pains and medical issues. 

My lifetime has seen tremendous progress:
  • from crystal sets to flat-screen TV’s - 
  • from Ford Tri-motors to supersonic intercontinental transports 
  • from 4th of July Roman Candles to ICBM's, landing men on the moon, and exploring the moons of Uranus 
  • from mechanical adding machines to microcomputers and the internet - 
  • advancements in medicine and medical devices which helped me live this long. 
Not only did I watch this progress but was actually able to participate in some.

What an era to be alive!


My parents were far from perfect, but I could not imagine having any others, they made me who I am today. 

While my body was never perfect, it has taken me where I needed to go, not as a professional athlete, but good enough to not embarrass myself on the golf course or bowling alley - that is until I got too old. I would never have made it as an underwear model, but my body has been good enough for what God has called me to be.

Are you happy with yourself?

Do you realize, that God created you the way you are?

  • He wanted you born in the era in which you were born. 
  • He created you as a male or female based on His plan for your life. 
  • He gave you the parents that you had. 
  • He gave you that body.

If you are unhappy with your present age, the era in which you were born, your sex, your parents, or your body, then your problem is with God. He created you for a purpose by putting you in this world in this place, with those parents, and gave you the body for a reason:

To fulfill His purpose in your life.

Do not rebel against  God’s plan for your life!





No comments:

Post a Comment